Tuesday, December 11

Fitness first

I used to run a lot. I used to run everyday. Then it dwindled to 4 times a week. And slowly, it became twice a week, until finally, I stopped running. I don't know why. Maybe I was busy with work. Maybe I thought playing basketball 3 times a week is sufficient enough to supplement my running needs. Maybe I'm too tired, or too lazy to run anymore. Maybe I'm using the weather as an excuse not to run.

But today, I started again. And as always, it felt good. Which kind of made me wonder, why did I stopped in the first place? I have always love running, because once upon a time ago, running was my key out of depression. A good run always make me feel better afterwards. And it make me feel good about myself too. So if you know someone who is depressed, get that person to run. And really run, till you get breathless and a sharp pain in your gut.

There are many reasons why people joined the friendly neighbourhood gyms that keep sprouting in every new malls nowadays. Most of the time, the joining fees are waived, and the monthly fees are not that expensive as before (more gyms mean more competition). It's affordable, and it's a good excuse to be out of the house, if you're married.

"Honey, I'm going to the gym," said the husband.
"Again?" Complained the wife.
"Well, I'm paying for it every month, so better make good use of it," replied the husband.

Of course, it's better to get the wife to join together, so that you can sweat it out together and have a better and healthy relationship. But I guess the husband is more interested in sweating it out in the bedroom with the wife, while checking out other targets in the gym. If you don't believe me, go and visit the gym, and check out the studio where the aerobics classes are being held (such as body combat, steps, coyote dance), and you will also notice a bunch of guys sitting outside watching the girls jumping up and around (I was in that crowd previously).

But that besides the point.

It's good to be fit and feeling good about the shape of your body. And yes, round is a shape, but it's not a good shape to begin with. Round should be only associated with doughnuts, and not the shape of your body, or your tummy. Don't you think it's good to stand naked in front of the mirror and admiring your nicely-toned abs? Or your muscular chest? And don't you think it's good to be able to look down and see something (hopefully huge) dangling about and around instead of seeing your tummy potruding out and blocking the view?

And what about being able to reach the top of the mountain and not feeling totally out of breath while doing it? And also being able to play basketball, or futsal, and outlast those who are even younger than you are? And being able to finish the 10km race well within the appointed time?

Don't you think all that is worth achieving?

I do, and that is why I'm starting to run again.

9 comments:

Hazyr said...

ok ok.. points taken!

p/s maybe I should check out the gym at KDE the next time I go swimming.. but no promises :p

IBU said...

For a mommy with 3 boys, running around the house chasing after them and being chased by them is a daily aerobic exercise for me :) Save cost - no gym fees whatsoever.

pssst.... Hazyr ... that's my only secret from getting too "round shape".

pssst.. Ardy .. akak dulu never liked muscular looking guys. Funny looking they are. Tak real langsung. Prefer those who do keep fit & healthy but don't have to depend on their bulging 'chest' to support their self esteem. hehe ..

Spena said...

Ardy- even though I can't run, but I can still jump. hehehe....

najibest said...

early this year i paid up front for 1 year gym membership hoping that it would at least make me feel guilty for not working out..unfortunately, i stopped going to the gym after 5 months using getting hitched as an excuse..well i guess now need to step up my fitness drive, else how can i lose the 20kg i put up :(

ardy said...

Hazyr,

Swimming itself is a good exercise, as long as you do it regularly.

Ibu,

Heheh, I know. Some men are just too vain to notice. Luckily I'm not one of them. How can I be vain when I'm homely?

ardy said...

Spena,

Oh yes you can! Heheh ;)

Najibest,

You can always use that conversation I put up there as a way to get out of the house and go to the gym. Unless of course, you prefer to use Tesco as an excuse ;) Heheh, sorry bro, just couldn't help it!

Bakawali said...

Ah... I need to start to run again too.. Swimming also has stopped due to the bad weather....

Excuses...excuses...excuses..heheheheh

coolasais said...

hey hey hey...

endorphine baby!...endorphine!

aren't we all a bunch of junkies!

=)...

ardy said...

Bakawali,

There's always indoor exercises, which I'm sure you would be interested in ;) Of course, climbing stairs is a good form of exercise too.

Coolasais,

Well, at least we're not destroying our body!