Saturday, December 22

I will move the stars for you

How do you make a woman fall for you? Do you keep on trying even after she tells you that she is not interested in you? Or do you keep your distance, but never too far away, so that whenever you are needed, you are always available for her?

There is nothing more heartbreaking than a rejected love. But that doesn't mean it is the end of the world, or the end of your life. There are other loves out there. There are other chances, other opportunities. You shouldn't shut yourself up, build an invisible barrier so that no one can penetrate. No, you should let yourself fall again, and let yourself get hurt again. Because in that process, you will be better person, if not bitter.

I particularly enjoyed an episode of Futurama, where Fry tried to woo Leela and asked her to date him. He tried a lot of things, said witty (more like stupid pick-up lines) remarks, yet Leela still wasn't interested. Some of the examples:

Fry: Psst! Leela. I've set up a time-proof shelter in the closet. There's only room for two, and you're the one I wanna share it with.
Leela: Fry, that's so sweet. Let me see... How exactly will this protect us from time jumps?
Fry: Because when we're together in here, baby, time will stand still.

Leela: Your face can take a lot of punishment. That's good to know.
Fry: There's a lot about my face you don't know! Perhaps you and it could get better acquainted over dinner.
Leela: Alright! Cool your jets, hotshot.
Fry: C'mon, Leela, why won't you go out with me? We both know there's something there.
Leela: No, I mean cool your jets. They're melting Bender's face.

Fry: So, Leela, how about a romantic ride in one of those swan boats? They're kinda dangerous but I finally mastered them.
Leela: Those aren't swan boats, they're swans.
Fry: Oh. That explains these boat eggs.

Fry: Leela, I want you to know I think the way you moved those stars around was really wonderful. I got you something.
Leela: Moderately-priced, domestic, non-vintage champagne? How did you know?
Fry: You deserve it. I mean, nobody ever stops to tell you what a great captain you are.
Leela: Aw! That is so true and sweet.
Fry: You're smart, you're beautiful, and best of all, you'll go out with me-e?
Leela: Fry, please try to understand: You're a man, I'm a woman. We're just too different.

Fry: Look. I've been studying how to pilot the ship. Impressed?
Leela: Yeah, actually. You're doing OK. The core reactor temperature's nominal, the blinker's off.
Fry: I learned how to work the gravity pump too. In case we need to move more stars. So, are we dating now?

Fry: Look, Leela. I know there's some perfect, amazing thing I can do to make you love me, and when I figure out what it is-
Leela: Fry, stop. I don't wanna hurt you, but there is absolutely, positively no way that you and I will ever, ever-

Of course, Fry never gave up. They ended up being married, but that's not the point. He finally got Leela to love him by using the gravity pump to move the stars, and formed the words "I love you, Leela". Now, I bet any women would fall for that.

Still, you need to watch that particular episode to understand the whole story. I find it really romantic in a weird way, although it wasn't meant to be so.

So what was the best thing you ever did to make someone fall for you?

14 comments:

all jazzed up said...

Once, when I was young and stupid, I fell in love with a housemate (and good friend). Kept it to myself at first because we were both dating other people. After a few months, we were in love. It was weird but I think the proximity led us to become more than friends. Classic case of "the closer I get to you". Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I'm staying away from people. It's not easy to glue together a shattered heart. The moment I detect the I wanna be the one you hold at night stance, I do a Bruce Lee howl.

I guess my heart still pines for that one person.

It took 20 years to convince this heart that it is okay to fall in love again. I'll have to look for a single grandma in 20 years time.

What rotten luck.

Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Oh...what was the best thing I ever did to make someone fall for me?

I did nothing than to love her wholeheartedly.

I'm sure she'd agree to that.

Spena said...

Hmmm....I don't really know. He...just fell for me! ;-)

IBU said...

Ahhh... what a nostalgic question.

I think I just 'kirim salam'. And Ayah melted all over. Hahahaha....

Hazyr said...

A poem, a love letter or even a song may do it for me.. I guess I am still one hopeless romantic eh?

Bakawali said...

I know the question is what did I do to make someone fall for you. But then, I didn't have to do anything, I was just being me.

Anyway, the sweetest that someone did for me (and it really bowled me over) is while he was away for nearly two weeks he wrote to me every single day describing everything that he did and saw until I can imagine I was there too. Yup, I know I am becoming soapy but then this is a TRUE story.

ardy said...

Jazz,

I guess we were all once young and stupid. Close proximity can lead to a lot of things ;)

Seademon,

Looking at the rate at how many single women out there at the moment, I'm sure you won't have any problem finding a single grandma in 20 years time.

ardy said...

Spena,

Must be your charms then ;)

Ibu,

Works most of the time, but back in those days, relationships were a lot simpler I guess.

ardy said...

Hazyr,

Heheh, then I hope your knight in shining armour will be a romantic one too ;)

Bakawali,

It's the thought that counts. I guess all that effort of running around looking for a mailbox was really worth it for him ;)

Hazyr said...

..and making friends waited for 'hours' outside a post office while he was in doing god-knows-what (so long!) ;)

ardy said...

Hazyr,

It was more like 5 minutes! And for your information, I was admiring the interior of the post office ;)

IBU said...

ARDY,

What do you mean "back in those days"? Must be the nick "ibu" that makes people think I am from the dinosaur era .... sigh.... oh my dear 'child'.

The only reason it works on Ayah was because all his friends knew I never ever kirim salam to anyone (of the opposite sex) and he was the only lucky one.

He, on the other hand, among other things he did to make me fall for him (beyond just kirim salam), bought a cute little kitten from downtown pet shop for me on my birthday! The kitten had red ribbon around his neck and was hand delivered ... how sweet.....

ardy said...

Ibu,

Sorry Ibu, didn't mean to offend you. Hmm, maybe I should try that kitten trick. I have 4 new kittens at home, and there's this certain girl that I'm fancying at the moment ;)