Wednesday, August 15

The two paths

It's easy to deviate to the dark side, to follow the forbidden path, and never look back.

But how long can you live in the darkness?

It's a question of choice, and beliefs. It's your own life, you make your own choice. You choose the path that you want to follow. And along the way, the path will converge into more paths, and you have to make more choices.

So how do you choose the correct path?

I am at the crossroad now, where I see two paths, one with plenty of bends and corners, and the other one straight to the end, where the earth and the sky meets. Being an indecisive person by nature, and someone who likes to deliberate and procrastinate, I now sit at the crossroad. In fact, I've been sitting here for quite some time now, maybe a whole month. Or was it a whole year?

I've even set up camp, seeing that I might be here for a little while still, and have started digging a well. From the looks of it, I might be staying here for another year or two, maybe three.

But that's the problem. Everyday, I look at the two paths. Everyday I stand at the edge of both paths, deliberating on the correct path.

"There is no correct path."

That's what they said and that's what the general public agrees on. But are they right? Maybe there is a correct path, and your whole life depended on it, your first step into the unknown. Choose the wrong path, and your life will be filled with heartache and misery.

But that's what life's all about, isn't it?

One thing for sure, sitting here at the crossroad doing nothing (except for digging a well) will definitely not take me anywhere. Maybe, just maybe, I'm not digging a well.

I'm digging my own grave.

I need to take the risk, plunge myself into the unknown,. I need to make the first step. When I close my eyes, I can imagine myself, crystal clear, stepping over the boundary, and walking along one path. And pretty soon, the walk turns into a jog, and the jog turns into a run. A steady consistent run. With rhythm. I can feel my heartbeat, and I can hear myself breathing.

Inhaling, exhaling. Inhaling, exhaling.

But all that is only in my mind. When I opened my eyes, I still see the two paths, not the hills and scenery zooming past me while I run. I'm still on a tree stump, with a half-dig well behind me, looking beyond the paths.

I need to make up my mind soon. I need to make the choice.

But most importantly, I need courage. Courage to make the wrong choice, and not regretting it. Courage to walk the wrong path, and not look back.

Or I might as well lie quietly in the well.

8 comments:

Hazyr said...

If you need a smack at the back for a jump-start, give me a shout! ;)

all jazzed up said...

the problem with me is that i am decisive. too decisive for my own good sometimes. nonetheless when i decided to file for my divorce, i felt relieved bcuz my conscience is clear. i pondered about it for over a year. but it sure feels good ardy after you've made up your mind. So watever it is, just do it!

Spena said...

Some people like to be in their "Comfort Zone" . You want some changes with your life? Then put one foot outside of the comfort zone, then the other.And we see how things move on from there.

ardy said...

Hazyr,

Oh, I might just call on you for that! ;)

Jazz,

It's good to be decisive, that's the mark of a successful business person. I probably need a huge paradigm shift to change my perception on how I should live my life, or something like that.

ardy said...

Spena,

That's a scary thought! Hehe, comfort zone is such a comfort!

Unknown said...

Ermmm ardy... pick the path with diving in it ehehhehehee.. believe me it is something not to look back.

I would love to join hazyr on the smacking part ;)

coolasais said...

oh come on, dude!

be a man! just go out and buy that Ralph Lauren jeans!

ha ha ha

ardy said...

Lily,

I'm on the path leading there. I just need the extra cash, and time to do it :) Wait for me, for I shall meet you underwater.

Coolasais,

When's the next sales?