Tuesday, October 2

Fair & Lovely

When you watch a lot of TV, like I do, you will also watch a lot of commercials along the way. Some of them are repeated so often that it annoys the hell out of you. Some have catchy catch phrase that got stuck in your head for hours while going through your day.

Like the other day, I had this "Hidup biar sedap" going on a never-ending loop in my head. The irritating part is since I was fasting, I couldn't get myself a Wall's ice cream. So I just had to endure the craving until after 7pm, and guess what I had for breakfast? For starter, I had Wall's Solero, then the main course was the Viennetta Brownie Chocolate and for dessert, Mini Poppers. Ice cream overdosed, I would say. But at least I got rid of that phrase from my mind (more like I numbed my mind with all the ice creams until I couldn't think anymore).

I got a sinking feeling that advertisers really did their research on how to subconsciously influence unsuspecting people into buying their products. It worked on me, and I'm sure it worked for others too. I was once in a focus group for this particular brand of drink. They were testing the market for a newly launched drink. So they had a whole group of people, from different age groups to different hairstyles, to test the product.

And they paid cash too to the participants. So it was a win-win situation for both sides. They got what they wanted, and we got paid. Fair enough.

One commercial that I really like is the Fair & lovely "Tiap hari sayang". The way the made the whole thing, it kind of reminded me of a life that I could have had. Not that it mattered anyway, because I didn't have it in the end.

But I digress. There was a time when beauty products used to rule the TV airtime. Especially skin whitening products. I'm not really sure why is it important to be fair? What's wrong with being dark, or tanned? I have a dark complexion, and I can never imagine myself being fair (and I secretly love women with dark complexions, like Cheryl Samad! Okay, now it's not a secret anymore, duh!) .

Surprisingly, not only women fall for the ploy. I have a few male friends who actually use the product. Not that they became fairer or anything, but they must be quite vain to even attempted to change their skin colour.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

It is just weird.

Nowadays, it's hair products that rule the TV. Shampoos from Rejoice, Clear, Head & Shoulder, Pantene, Dove to Sunsilk are competing against each other, all promising no-dandruff and straight shiny hair.

First, you have to be fair, now you have to have straight shiny hair.

What's wrong with curly, or wavy hair?

And if you read the papers, you will come across plenty of slimming adds. From slimming centres to slimming products, all with before and after photos, to show the effectiveness of their products and programmes. There are too many of them that's it's hard to keep track anymore.

Whatever happened to the old fashion exercise and diet?

So now you know. If you want to be perfect, you need to be fair, have long, straight shiny hair, and be extremely slim.

As if.

17 comments:

Marliza Radzi said...

me ain't perfect :( hehehe :D

been craving for mini poppers lama dah! sukar ditemui!

coolasais said...

For all the vain ppl out there:

"i know what i want
And i want it now
I want you cause i'm Mr.Vain
I know what i want and i want it now
I want you cause i'm Mr.Vain"

ha ha ha...

Bakawali said...

Well, the Fair and Lovely advert is downright an insult to all women. It teaches the wrong values to the younger generation. A woman's value is not how she looks but what is in her heart....

As for the other beauty products the aim is to suck money out of insecure people...they'll buy loads of products but day after day when they look in the mirror they still see a UGLY person...

Btw, men using whitening products??? Euwwww... fair guys look like faggarts... I prefer tanned looking guys *wink* *wink* so Macho!!!

Anonymous said...

I have no hair and I am not slim.

But I still get the gurrlls.

There must be a huge worm as a bait.

ManaL said...

U cud be silently fancying ryzah too? its ok ape to fancy ur fren w/pon hanya teman tapi mesra (now u made me come up with those mangga-urtv-hotfm-erafm phrases....heck i havent read urtv or mangga for ages!)


The glow of a healthy, contented woman outshines any whitening cream any time. But i am also an anti-UV moisturiser cream user....not whitening, but anti-UV that contains SPF15 and so on.

Talking about the impact of a successful advertisement eh...

Hazyr said...

errr... what's happening here? Ardy, I think it's time for you to moderate your comment box before it gets out of hand!

p/s Manal.. err..how did I fit in eh? I'm not fair and now ballooning plak tuh! :)

Cik Puan Sri Quzz said...

i hate that unity band ad. ntah apa2.

neways, this morning i wanted to drop u a comment but got freak out with those "unwanted comments". thank God, u have deleted it.

fyi, im tanned ;)(purposely berjmur di bawah mentari) more like cheryl (tak tipu ye) but still gemok. how?

ManaL said...

tumpang lalu ardy,

ryzah, the fact that he fancies the hitam manis ones la...he doesnt seemed to be fazed by these fair complex competition, hence it's how u fit in his dream women category.

OK ka? ksian baca kisah2 about him searching for love.

ardy said...

AM,

Try the hypermarkets. I always manage to find everything there.

Coolasais,

Hahah! Indeed you are, Mr. Vain!

ardy said...

Bakawali,

The weird thing is Asians are obsessed about being fair, while the rest of the world (read:Mat Salleh) wouldn't mind a darker complexion.

Seademon,

I don't think it's the worm, I suspect it's something else that's larger than a worm ;)

ardy said...

Manal,

Hahah, that is another secret of mine, I can't go around telling everyone that I fancy them right?

Hazyr,

Spammers! Deleted the comments though.

ardy said...

Aphroditekuzz,

Sounds good to me! I'm a very simple man, I don't require much from the opposite sex ;)

Manal,

Heheh. Unfortunately Ryzah is already taken! (by someone with the same size and colour with her) Bagai pinang dibelah kapak, I tell you! ;)

Anonymous said...

Ardy...when I was in Central Siberia, the mat sallehs from the US and Europe were pissed cos all the beautiful Siberian girls (Eskimos + Russian + Mongol + Japanese features)all went for the darker-skinned Malaysians. I suppose it never occured to them from which kampung each of us were thinking that we're rich people because we came in a jet plane.

The same in reverse happens here in Malaysia when locals (malay, chinese or indian) think it's hip to have a mat salleh partner not knowing which farm he is from. Like my ex-wife.

ardy said...

Seademon,

I'm sure you were one of the darker-skinned Malaysian coveted by the beautiful Siberian girls ;)

Anonymous said...

Ardy...ah yes. The local school's President of the English language club was always with me.

She must love my hairstyle.

ardy said...

Seademon,

Lucky you! Are you sure it was the hairstyle? I thought it was the skin colour?

Anonymous said...

Her hair was center-parted. Mine's departed.