Thursday, July 12

Bicentennial Man

Lately, I've noticed that time has been flying past swiftly, day by day, week by week, month by month. I guess it's good, it means that I've been busy, not to notice the passage of time as it flows away from me. Before I knew it, it's already a new month, just when I was about to settle into my normal routine.

The problem is, I can't really recall the time that I've used. I know I spent most of my time at work, on average 9 hours there. I sleep for 6 hours. So there's still 9 hours unaccounted for.

9 hours is a lot of time. I guess half of that is spent in front of the TV, seeing how particularly attached I am to it. Not that I couldn't live without TV. And I don't even have cable. Imagine if I do subscribe to one, then it would be 10 hours in front of the TV.

But that's not how I want to spend a big chunk of my life. That's why I didn't subscribe to cable. That and because it's freaking expensive.

If you can live forever, would you be wasting your time away? Would you sleep the whole day? Would you just sit at the beach staring at the crashing waves? Would you lie down on the green grass in the park and watch the clouds in the sky? Or would you commit a crime and spend some time in prison?

Immortality is frightening. Having all the time in the world, it's a scary thought. The scariest part is to watch your loved ones grow old and die. Loneliness, that would be your greatest enemy. Yes, you can always make new friends, find new love, and have more children, but to what extend?

Sometimes, dying is the way out.

Even when you know and believe that there is an afterlife.

6 comments:

Spena said...

I hope you are not talking about me! Well, a person can only do that when they think you are a good listener.

ardy said...

Spena,

Definitely not you, I just met this person last week. Now I know all her deepest secrets ;)

Not that I'm complaining.

ManaL said...

Green Mile, thats another movie, of a human unlike bic-man.

Courtesy of IMDB: from Green Mile movie: "That's as good a word as any. He infected us both, didn't he, Mr. Jingles? With life. I'm a hundred and eight years old, Elaine. I was forty-four the year that John Coffey walked the Green Mile. You mustn't blame John. He couldn't have what happened to him... he was just a force of nature. Oh I've lived to see some amazing things Elly. Another century come to past, but I've... I've had to see my friends and loved ones die off through the years... Hal and Melinda... Brutus Howell... my wife... my boy. And you Elaine... you'll die too, and my curse is knowing that I'll be there to see it. It's my torment you see; it's my punishment, for letting John Coffey ride the lightning; for killing a miracle of God. You'll be gone like all the others. I'll have to stay. I'll die eventually, that I'm sure. I have no illusions of immortality, but I will await your death... long before death finds me. In truth, I wish for it already" .

ManaL said...

Its about immortality thingy...

naiza said...

wohoo.. a blogger now eh? keep it up!

ardy said...

Manal,

Yes, love that movie too, it made you think deep. I love movies that make me think.


Naiza,

Just started, hope mine won't be like itik's!