Friday, February 15

Rainy day man

I love the rain. Sometimes, I just sit outside and watch the raindrops fall from the sky. I always dream of lying down on the ground and watch the rain falls into my eyes. Tried it before actually, and discovered that dreaming about it is more pleasant than actually doing it.

Lately, it hasn't been raining as often as before. It used to rain almost everyday, heavy evening rain. Not a good time to be on the road, since rainy days mean bad traffic. Nowadays, there is more sunshine, and the mornings can get really hot. Parched hot. The kind of hot that makes you want to spend the day indoors in an air-conditioned room, or maybe soaked in the swimming pool. And definitely not stuck in a bad traffic crawl in the car with the air-conditioning not working.

The wind has also make limited appearance nowadays, preferring to blow someplace else instead. With the hot sun and no wind, temperature has been high, and the same can also be said with some people's tempers. Weird how the word temperature seems to come from the root word temper. Not that it has any relations, come to think of it. But if there was a research done to study the relationship between temper and temperature, I'm sure the results would show that they are proportional to each other. In other words, it would show a linear relationship.

But I digress. It's easy to let your tempers run wild when the conditions are set for it, like a fire being fed with kerosene, or a hungry dog being thrown a piece of meat. And it's a lot easier to just let it loose, and hurt the people around you. But most of the time, it's the people you love who gets hurt, and in the end, all you'll end up with are regrets, and most probably, lesser friends.

There are times when I can feel my temper flaring up, and I would close my eyes and count to three, and take a deep breath. But in that 3 seconds, plenty of things are going on in my mind. I would play the scenario of me losing my temper, and how the consequences would effect me, and the people around me. After a while, that would calmed me down, and I would be able to think rationally.

Of course, it depends on the situation too. I think I lose my temper more when I'm in my car, driving. It's very easy to get angry and start cursing when inconsiderate drivers are all around you. Then again, the AC in my car has gone busted, so that probably explains why lately there were more cursing while I'm cruising along the road.

That's why I'm glad when it rains. Somehow, the sound of the rain soothe the beast in me, and keep my temper in check. And the air is a lot cooler too. It's easier to be calmer on rainy days. Well, as long as there are no flash floods around, because that would make me even madder.

I hope it rains tomorrow, because I miss the rain.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once in a whie it is nice to get out there and play in the rain.

Nicer still if it's a thunderstorm and you're the tallest structure in the open field.

- guile - said...

it's 6:41pm right now and it's raining in sunway. i guess you got what you hoped for yesterday. and.. dont be cursing if u're stuck in the traffic, because somehow malaysians tend to drive slower when it rains.

Anonymous said...

Guile...I don't. I still drive fast.

ardy said...

Seademon,

Yeah, it would be nice.

Guile,

It was raining, but too bad I had to go out at that time, and yes, I was stuck on the road.