Monday, February 4

The oranges strike back

The problem with February is it's oranges season. Everywhere you go, you see oranges. Everywhere you turn to, there are those round orange fruit lying on the shelves, on the car seat, in the fridges, and in boxes on the floor.

So you grabbed one, peel off the skin, and start eating those sweet little thing. And spit out the seeds all over the place.

Yes, that's the way I do it anyway.

For over a week now, I've been eating oranges. And plenty of oranges. It's like 3 oranges after lunch, another 3 in the evenings, and then another 5 after dinner. Then of course there's the one before bed. Come to think of it, there was one night where my dinner consisted of oranges and oranges only. Suddenly, from a fruit, it has turned into an obsession. I just can't get enough of them. To me, they no more look round and orange. They are anything I wanted them to be. They can be a a double cheeseburger, or a hot chicken soup. And they definitely taste better than oatmeal.

That's the problem. There is an abundance of oranges in my life. I keep getting them for free. I went to the mechanic the other day and he gave me a handful of oranges. I went to the friendly neighbourhood Mamak for a late supper and they gave me an orange. But the source of my endless supply of oranges is my office. There are boxes and boxes of them, lying around just to be taken and eaten. And since I can't see free food lying around waiting to be taken and eaten, I found it as my duty to do justice to the oranges. And so the feasting begins.

Of course, another problem of an overdose of oranges is you keep on going to the toilet. It's like ethnic cleansing for my bowels, they are getting sick of the oranges and they just wanted them out of the system. So, it's orange comes in, orange goes out. The weird part is, now my waste product smells like oranges. It looks like oranges too. And all I know, it might even taste like one too. But of course I wouldn't go that far to proof that!

And people keep telling me that I should stop eating them since they are making my cough gets even worse. Even my mechanic is now acting as my doctor, telling me about how oranges are cold based food, and how they irritate the throat. I guess I should listen to him, since he did a good job fixing my car. Maybe he knows what he was talking about.

So I won't be touching, or eating any oranges from now on.

10 comments:

najibest said...

Ardy, you can always give those extra oranges to me :)... been having a cold lately and some extra vitamin C would certainly help heh ...

all jazzed up said...

Actually the mandarin oranges during CNY not good lah.. Ada some kind of preservative that can make them tahan in that box for weeks! Hence, the cough. Oh well, its not like you don't have any access to doctors.... hehehe

Anonymous said...

Why don't they dish out lemons instead? At least I can use it with my bottle of tequilla.

Anonymous said...

Hali laya sula mali
Makan nimau satu loli
Tapi lu mesti hati2
Nanti Batuk2 tak henti2


Gong Xi! Gog Xi!!!

the ectopy said...

Dulu, I makan tomato banyak sampai I rasa muka I pun macam tomato...Oren sedap!

Hazyr said...

I kept myself off oranges this time round but kena jugak batuk and sakit tekak, dah 2 minggu pulak tu....

should have just indulged myself in those eh!

ManaL said...

Moderate la bro , moderate eating...who said tableh makan limau mandarin but donch la melantak!

ardy said...

Najibest,

I would if I see you around. I think there is a box somewhere in my car, rotting away peacefully.

Jazz,

No wonder! They should have put a warning sign of some sort outside of the boxes!

ardy said...

Seademon,

Not anymore, after thousands of lemons killed Yusni Jaafar years ago.

Ibu,

Heheh, it rhymes! I wonder if they have Mandarin oranges over there.

ardy said...

The Ectopy,

Tomatoes are good for the skin. I especially like those small tiny tomatoes, although they cost more than the normal ones.

Hazyr,

You are surrounded with medicines and pills and yet you are plague with all these diseases! How ironic!

Manal,

Hahah, I can't help it. I have a weakness to free food!