Wednesday, January 9

Addicted

I hate to admit it, but I am hooked to Facebook. Now, I have read previously about other people's addiction and scoffed at them as having nothing else better to do, but I guess my words are coming back to haunt me.

That explains why I haven't written anything in here for days now.

It's not that I don't have anything else better to do, in fact, anything else has now been postponed to an indefinite time. My clothes are lying all over the place, the kitchen is now a war zone, my lawn is now a jungle to my cats, and my stack of newspapers lay stationary under the bed unread. But the most incredible part is, the TV has been silence for almost a week now.

Me, not watching TV? Now that is totally unheard off!

Come to think of it, I can still remember once upon a time ago when I got hooked to something else. Years ago, when I was way younger and foolish, I used to be hooked to MUDS. It's actually an online text-based multiplayer role-playing game. It's something like Ragnorak Online, but instead with graphics, it is all text-based. That means you have to read the description and type in the command instead of clicking the mouse. In a way, it improved my typing speed, since you really need to type fast in order to be good at it.

But that was a really long addiction. I think I spent most of my waking hours playing the game. The computer lab was open 24 hours at that time, and I would be there, diligently working on my character, levelling up each night and interacting with the other players. Don't ask me when I found the time to eat, and attend classes. I probably did that when I was sleeping.

The MUDS I was playing was called LordMud, and it was based on Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. Yes, I've read the books long before the movies were out, and the world and characters in the MUDS were based on the books. I was even appointed as a builder, and help to improve the place with new areas.

Too bad LordMud has ceased to exist.

So what is there to gain from this kind of addiction? Probably nothing. Wasting away in front of the computer is not how I envision myself doing nowadays. Maybe this time it is only temporary. Maybe I'm just doing this to keep myself distracted. Maybe I'm just bored.

Damn you, Facebook!

8 comments:

- guile - said...

temporary? i could use some help. come over here and be my 'amah'. you can be addicted to it and get paid sumore!

v k i n i s m said...

hahahah.... don't flirt too much on facebook then maybe u can stop the addiction :p

Anonymous said...

Oi! Why do you keep sending me Flirts, Hugs and Kisses?

You scare me, dude!

Spena said...

Sorry Ardy - I'm one of the people who keep 'ignoring' to any kind of messages , which includes a long lists from you!.Hehehe

ardy said...

Guile,

How much are you offering? I might be tempted if the money is good ;)

Vkin,

I'm in too deep now!

ardy said...

Seademon,

Oh? I'm just returning the favour ;)

Spena,

Just join Hobowars! I need the cash! Heheh ;)

Marliza Radzi said...

FB's fun! tapi membuang masa kan? huhuhu.

ardy said...

AM,

Indeed it is! Such a waste of time, yet it is so addictive!