Monday, November 5

The X factor

I like to push myself to the limit. That's why I love sports. That is also why I love to run, and climb mountains.

It's amazing what your body can do when pushed to its limit. But what is more amazing is what your mind can do at time of stress. A trained mind will tell you that impossible is nothing, and you can achieve almost anything if you just believe in it. The power of the mind. It's a very handy thing to have when you are standing at the edge of the cliff staring into a huge gorge. I'm not saying you should jump over the gorge to get to the other side. But then again, if it is a small gap, and you know you can make it, then all you need to do is jump. Of course, the difference between making it to the other side and failing is death, but that is another matter.

When I run, I run hard. I can feel my breath laboriously leaving my body. I can feel lactic acid building up in my legs. I can feel the twitch in my gut. But my mind keeps telling me to take the next step, to go a little further more, to exhale out loud, and keep on going. It's all in the mind.

When playing basketball, and the scores are tied and I have one final shot to win the game, I will step up and take the ball, and make the shot. And as the ball loops over the air, I know it will go into the hoop, because I told myself that I would make the basket.

And most of the times, it does.

But if it doesn't, I will tell myself that I did my best, and when the opportunity arises again, I will still make that shot.

In sports, winning isn't everything. Okay, maybe it is a huge part in sports; nevertheless, there are things that are more important than winning.

Like trying.

And playing it passionately.

And giving your all, not holding back.

When I was younger, my competitive edge took hold of me. I play to win. And I will do everything in my power to get the win. I am still competitive as ever, but now I understand, it's not just about winning. It's about how you win and how you motivate your teammates and get the best out of them.

I might be older as the years pass by, but I will keep on playing and pushing myself.

After all, age is just a number.

3 comments:

sharlydia said...

sounds as though u'r 45-50 years old or something...which i'm sure u'r not!

ManaL said...

Lepas nih u nak float in the air a'la David Blaine ke using that mind power concept?

U r right on remaining positive even though u might be on the losing side/team. But seeing that u r very driven, just keep stretching any possibility including all the muscles in your body (hows mini-u?). Except that the older we get the less flexible we can be unless we do it regularly.

have u tried body massaging? very relaxing if the masseur is a pro.

ardy said...

Sharlydia,

Yeah, thank God I'm not! ;)

Manal,

Mini-me has been out of action for as long as I can remember!